New discovery `brings hope for bald men`
London: Here`s a ray of hope for the bald -- scientists claim to have identified a hair-loss protein which they claim could pave the way for new treatments.
Researchers at University of Pennsylvania say that their discovery could mean treatments could someday be developed to suppress the protein and stop baldness, `The Daily Telegraph` newspaper reported.
For their study, the researchers carried out tests on tissue from the scalps of more than 20 men with male pattern baldness, known as androgenic alopecia (AGA). The results showed bald areas had levels of the protein PGD2 three times higher than hairy areas.
Lead researcher Prof George Cotsarelis said: "Our findings should lead directly to new treatments for the most common cause of hair loss in men, AGA. The potential for
developing these compounds into topical formulations for treating AGA should elicit great interest moving forward."
He added: "Although a different prostaglandin was known to increase hair growth, our findings were unexpected, as prostaglandins haven`t been thought about in relation to hair loss, yet it made sense that there was an inhibitor of hair growth, based on our earlier work looking at hair follicle stem cells."
The findings have been published in the `Science Translational Medicine` journal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!