New dissolvable oral strip for instant pain relief from burns
Washington: Researchers have developed a dissolvable oral strip to immediately relieve pain from burns caused by ingestion of hot foods and liquids like coffee, pizza or soup.
Jason McConville, lead researcher of the study from University of Texas, Austin, designed the strip for controlled delivery of a local anesthetic – benzocaine - and a therapeutic polymer.
Benzocaine, which is commonly used as a topical pain reliever in dental products and throat lozenges, was chosen for its non-irritating properties.
The strip is applied directly to the burned part of the tongue, cheek or roof of the mouth. It sticks to the affected area and does not interfere with normal day-to-day activities, as it quickly dissolves for instant pain relief and promotes healing.
“We found these strips to be non-toxic, which has huge potential for anyone who burns their mouth while eating and drinking hot foods—and that’s just about everyone,” McConville said.
“The strips look and behave similar to breath freshening strips that you might find at your local drugstore,” he added.
The findings of the study will be presented at the 2012 American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) Annual Meeting and Exposition in Chicago, Ill., on Oct. 14 – 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam