New drug cures Hepatitis C in HIV patients
Washington: In a ray of hope for patients infected with both HIV and Hepatitis C, researchers have found that a combination drug therapy cures chronic Hepatitis C in majority of such patients.
Hepatitis C is a leading cause of death among HIV co-infected patients.
"Because of poor tolerability to the previous standard of treatments for Hepatitis C, co-infection patients were considered difficult to treat," said Mark Sulkowski, medical director of the Johns Hopkins Infectious Disease Centre for Viral Hepatitis.
Now, the data from a Phase III clinical trial have been incorporated into the US Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) approval of the new drug called sofosbuvir.
"The treatment with a new all-oral regimen - sofosbuvir and ribavirin - is now considered on-label," researchers reported.
For the trial, doctors administered sofosbuvir and ribavirin to a total of 223 HIV-1 patients chronically co-infected with Hepatitis C either for 12 weeks.
Twelve weeks after the treatment ended, researchers tested patients again for Hepatitis C infection to determine if the treatment was effective.
They found that 76 percent patients with genotype 1, 88 percent with genotype 2 and 67 percent with genotype 3 were cured.
"We have always termed this to be 'sustained virologic response but we now know that means hepatitis C has been cured," Sulkowski noted.
The trial study was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- iPhone 7? Apple Inc sends out invite for September 7 'special event'
- John Kerry's cavalcade got stuck in traffic jam caused by heavy rains in New Delhi
- NASA astronaut Jeff Williams' camera zooms in on alluring views of these two places! - See pics
- Nico Rosberg surprised to see teammate Lewis Hamilton finishing 3rd in Belgian GP
- See pic: Cassini captures delicate glow on Saturn's ring!