New frontier in dietary health revealed
Washington: Creating and marketing food products that prevent disease and obesity is the new frontier in dietary health, according to new findings.
"Blood vessels are critical to the health of every cell, every organ and for every function in the body," William W. Li, M.D., president of the Angiogenesis Foundation, said.
"Research is now showing it`s possible to promote health and wellness using foods and beverages that influence angiogenesis," he said.
Angiogenesis is the formation of blood vessels that feed and promote disease, obesity and inflammation
Over 1 billion people throughout the world have an angiogenesis system that is "out of balance," Dr. Li said.
These individuals either have, or are at risk for developing, abnormal blood vessel growth and related heart disease, cancer, arthritis, Alzheimer`s disease, obesity and other diseases and conditions.
There are many antiangiogenic pharmaceutical products on the market today that are successfully fighting cancer and other diseases.
Many foods have the same powerful, naturally-occurring properties including tomatoes, green tea, garlic, broccoli, dark chocolate, turmeric, tuna and olive oil.
Recent studies have found that combining some of these foods like tomatoes and broccoli, heating some foods to a certain temperature (or not heating others), and/or cooking them in olive oil, may enhance their anti angiogenesis abilities.
These findings could impact food design and preparation, Vincent Li, MD, scientific director at the Angiogenesis Foundation, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: MSBSHSE Class 12th XII Exam Results 2016 to be declared today on hscresult.mkcl.org - how to check
- Civilian shot dead in J&K's Kupwara
- Donald Trump wins Washington state Republican primary
- Sexism row: Rajiv Shukla to take up Chris Gayle's issue with BCCI, RCB management
- Picture blast! 'Housefull3' gang gate-crashed Asin's house at midnight