New malaria drug twice as effective as existing ones
Washington: Lab tests have shown that a new malaria drug is twice as effective as the best medication against the global scourge and may fight it with just a single dose instead of multiple doses as at present.
Gary Posner, professor of chemistry at Johns Hopkins and his team explain that malaria continues to kill almost one million people worldwide annually, most of them children. The best treatment is the so-called artemisinin combination therapy (ACT).
It requires patients to take pills every day for several days, and many patients fail to complete the regimen, the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry reports.
Consequently, these patients don`t get better, and it opens the door for malaria parasites to develop resistance to ACT. To stop that from happening, the researchers developed a new type of ACT that could stop malaria with a single dose, according to a Johns Hopkins statement.
They describe a series of new compounds they developed that, given once, are more effective than traditional artemisinin-derived substances. One of the new compounds, when combined with mefloquine, killed off all of the parasites in some mice with just a single oral dose and allowed those mice to live almost twice as long as those treated with conventional ACT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack