New method to cut depression in young adults
Washington: Computerised avatars can help young adults who are reluctant to seek therapy for mental health problems because of the stigma and inadequate insurance coverage.
A preliminary study by researchers at Case Western Reserve University suggests that depression levels may be significantly lowered when 18- to 25-year-olds interact with computerised avatars of healthcare providers.
Such avatars are virtual 3D images of a nurse practitioner or physician as a way to rehearse office visits ahead of time and learn self-management skills, the journal Applied Nursing Research reports.
Melissa Pinto, clinical research scholar at Case Western Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, says the study was the first to her knowledge to use an avatar-based intervention for this age group to ease depressive symptoms.
Pinto used a Case Western-designed virtual programme, called eSMART-MH, adapted from a previous platform (eSMART-HD) designed by the team to help adults with chronic health problems manage their health, according to a Case Western statement.
eSMART-MH walks young adults through healthcare appointments with an avatar healthcare provider in virtual primary care office setting. During these visits, young adults practice talking about depression, ask avatar healthcare providers questions and learn self-managements skills to help manage depressive symptoms.
At this age, a majority of young people do not make contact with mental health providers until years after they first experience depressive symptoms.
Those who do seek professional help may go to their first few appointments, but stop going soon after, said Pinto, who has studied mental health interventions in adolescents and young adults for six years.
"We are very early in the science. We look forward to assessing the eSMART-MH again in a larger study of young people," Pinto said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM