New ovulation kit uses saliva to determine woman’s fertility
London: A revolutionary new ovulation kit that uses saliva rather than a urine sample has been launched in the UK.
Traditional fertility predictor kits use urine to test for an increase in luteinizing hormone (LH), which takes place one or two days before ovulation.
But the new Maybe Baby tester, shaped like a lipstick, claims to measure oestrogen and salt levels found in traces of women’s saliva which surges when they are most fertile, the Daily Mail reported.
The manufacturer claims that the 40-pound saliva test is 98 percent accurate and could end the traditional and, less than dignified “pee-on-a-stick” method.
The technology it uses is based on research from the University of Turin, Italy.
Scientists there discovered that when oestrogen is present in dried saliva, it forms a pattern resembling fern leaves, which can be clearly seen under a microscope.
With the new battery-powered saliva kit, women spit on, or lick, a tiny microscopic lens before putting the stick back in its container.
After 10-15 minutes, the user holds the reusable device up to one eye and presses a button to activate a light.
If the lens shows pebbles and dots then the woman is not deemed to be fertile.
But if small fern leaves appear on the lens, the woman is believed to have two or three days until ovulation.
A full pattern of fern leaves on the lens means the woman is ovulating at that moment.
The new tester will be available in more than 500 Lloyds Pharmacy stores across the UK at the start of November.
It is currently available to buy on rowlandspharmacy.co.uk
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo