New, simpler optical method to diagnose TB
Washington: American researchers have demonstrated a new optical technique to detect TB bacteria in fluids.
The method developed by a team of scientists at the Colorado State University (CSU) uses light to identify various molecular markers to spot tuberculosis (TB) infection.
Although the research team led by CSU professor Diego Krapf has not made a device that can detect TB bacteria in blood or urine samples, they say building such a mechanism would not be difficult with the existing technology.
Presently, doctors discover TB infections by taking chest X-rays, or analysing the sputum of an individual.
The new technique devised by CSU researchers is more effective because it can detect cases of where the bacterial infection has just started, something that cannot be found using the traditional methods.
It is also believed this method will be quite useful for the developing nations.
The team is now gearing up to test blood and urine samples of TB patienst to find out how sensitive a detector should be.
The study will be presented at the Optical Society``s (OSA) Annual Meeting, Frontiers in Optics (FiO), in San Jose, California.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate