New smear test can detect cervical cancer much earlier
London: A new, more accurate smear test that can detect cervical cancer much earlier will be introduced in UK from next March.
The test will be introduced in a 1.2 million-pound pilot scheme which could help save thousands of lives a year, the Daily Mail reported.
At present, women are recommended to have a smear test every three years from the age of 25.
But the new test, which identifies the presence of the HPV virus – linked to 99 per cent of cervical cancer cases – means women could be safely tested every six to ten years.
This is because the test uses far more sensitive computerised screening methods.
Early prediction is crucial as the disease is notoriously symptom-free in the initial stages.
The country’s Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt will announce the test on Tuesday at a conference called Britain Against Cancer.
The Minister will also announce a new 2 million-pound pilot screening programme for bowel cancer which could save 3,000 lives a year.
“I want to make sure our survival is among the best and NHS patients receive the best treatment available,” the paper quoted Hunt as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened