New study brings longer life closer to reality
Washington: A team of scientists from Texas have made important discoveries that bring longer life spans much closer to reality.
The research describes how scientists "activated" life extension in the worm, C. elegans, and in the process discovered a new metabolic state correlating with long life.
"C. elegans has provided a useful animal model for human biology because of their relative simplicity and our understanding of the genes that control their metabolism,” said Gerald Weissmann, Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal.
“Helping these worms to live longer is a proof of concept; indeed much of what we now know about human aging was first worked out in these worms," he added.
Scientists compared one class of long-lived C. elegans, called the Mit mutants, with non-mutant wild type C. elegans. Their comparison showed significant metabolism changes, suggesting that their cellular engines had been reconfigured to run on new fuels and to make new waste products, leading to increased lifespans.
Creating a new method for collecting cellular waste and studied it to identify the specific chemical reactions, they found that that the worms achieved long life through changes in how their cells extracted energy (metabolic state).
"This research on worms shows that the secret to a long life comes from how we extract energy from our food," said Weissman.
"With any luck, we``ll be able to change human life in the same direction: onward and upward!"
The study appears in FASEB journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter