New surgery for easy knee replacement
New Delhi: Surinder Rawat, a physical education teacher who had rheumatoid arthritis, got a new lease of life after doctors here performed a replacement surgery on both her knees using a new technology, a doctor said Tuesday.
Rawat, 68, who suffered knee pain for over four years, was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, a condition where the joint cartilage between the bones of the knee gradually wears away, degrades the lining of the joints and causes swelling that is painful and can lead to joint deformity in the affected joints.
Rawat wanted to walk without a walking stick.
"We used the new technology PSI (patient-specific instrumentation), which improves alignment and sizing by using computer-generated images of the patient anatomy to determine precise bone cuts and implant positioning during the surgery," said Raju Vaishya, senior consultant, joint replacement surgeon, Indraprastha Apollo Hospital.
According to doctors, the technology was introduced in India only a month ago.
"It has made miraculous changes in my lifestyle. I am convinced by the benefits, of the surgical procedure," Rawat said.
The advanced knee surgery enables lesser surgery time, lesser post-operative complications and recovery.
"Unlike the conventional knee replacement surgery, PSI reduced the blood loss during and after surgery and serious complications. As many operative steps are reduced in the technique, and excessive dissection is not required, the operative time or the knee replacement procedure which takes about three hours was reduced by half due to this new method," Vaishya said.
Doctors said nearly 20 to 30 crore people suffer from knee arthritis.
"Despite the large number of patients, the number of surgeries performed every year are comparatively low. This can be attributed to fear, lack of awareness and other apprehensions," Vaishya added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark