New surgical procedure cuts high blood pressure better than drugs
Kuala Lumpur: A simple surgical procedure can help those with resistant hypertension to control their high blood pressure.
Recently introduced in Malaysia, Renal nerve ablation or denervation involves destroying certain nerves around the kidney that can help regulate the body`s blood pressure.
This is done by activating radio frequency waves passed through a wire inserted into the renal (kidney) arteries via a small cut in the groin, according to interventional cardiologist Dr Yap Yee Guan.
A 2010 multi-centre clinical trial showed that the destruction of the nerves decreased the blood pressure of patients by an average 32/12mmHg.
Usually taking a new hypertension drug would not cause a decrease of more than 10mmHg, said Dr Yap.
About 84 percent of patients who underwent the ablation had over 10mmHg decrease in their blood pressure, compared with 34 percent of the control group, which continued normal drug treatment.
Follow-ups showed that the decrease in blood pressure was still maintained two years after the procedure with one in five able to decrease their hypertension medications after the procedure.
“It is very safe,” Star Online quoted Dr Yap as saying.
The procedure is currently available at the National Heart Institute and Prince Court Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22