New test to detect bowel cancer from outside body
London: No need to undergo unpleasant examinations to spot an early symptom of bowel cancer – one of the deadliest. Now, scientists claim to have developed a new test which can detect the disease from outside one`s body.
Bowel cancer or colorectal cancer includes cancerous growths in the colon, rectum and appendix. With 655,000 deaths worldwide per year, it`s the third most common form of cancer. Currently the common test to detect the disease is colonoscopy either under a local or general anaesthetic.
But, the new test -- a virtual colonoscopy, or CT colonography as it is properly known -- uses a computerised tomography to produce a 3D image of the bowel from outside the body, the `Daily Mail` reported.
According to the scientists, the only discomfort for patients of the virtual colonoscopy is that the colon needs to be inflated and so several litres -- the average is four – of carbon dioxide are pumped through a pipe inserted in rectum.
The whole process takes about five minutes, although patients need to fast for 48 hours before hand and also take a powerful laxative. The result is out in five days.
However, the CT colonoscopy is only available at John Radcliffe in Oxford and St Mark`s Hospital in North-West London as of now. But, its use is expected to spread as a study on its efficiency is published later this year.
In fact, that study, led by Prof Steve Halligan, a clinical radiologist at University College Hospital London, is likely to say that not only is it safer and more comfortable than the existing way, it is also equally effective, the British newspaper report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon