NGOs oppose Punjab move to reduce tax on tobacco
Chandigarh: A proposed move by the Punjab government to bring down taxes on tobacco products in the state is being opposed by NGOs.
The Punjab government is mulling to roll back tax on tobacco products, which was increased to 55 percent last year, to 22 percent.
NGO Voice of Tobacco Victims project director Ashima Sarin urged the state government to protect people from tobacco products by increasing the VAT on tobacco products.
She said the Punjab government is trying to justify the tax rollback saying that last year's increase had led to illegal trade of tobacco products.
"Cancer relief funds cannot be generated by sending more people to become victims of tobacco and further be diseased. Illicit trade is a matter of weak enforcement by the government and stern action needs to be taken to reduce the illicit trade. Rolling back taxes is not the solution," Sarin contended.
She pointed out that even neighbouring Rajasthan had increased taxes on tobacco products to 65 percent.
Lawyer Amteshwer Kaur, who is associated with NGO Generation Saviour Association in Mohali, said that hundreds of children are getting initiated to tobacco use.
She said cancer cases were increasing in Punjab and the move by the state government would not help the cause to control it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly