NHRC committee to frame guidelines for drug trials
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Friday said that is has constituted an expert committee to frame guidelines for clinical drug trials, following unethical complaints.
"NHRC has constituted an expert committee for framing of some guidelines for clinical trials of drugs in the country," a statement from the commission said.
"The commission has also decided to intervene in the case relating to the clinical trials of drugs pending before the Supreme Court," the statement said.
The committee comprises of D.C. Doval, director research and medical oncology, Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and research centre, Delhi; Vivekanand Jha, department of nephrology, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh; B.N. Dhawan, former director, Central Drug Research Institute; Nilima Kshirsagar, national chair in clinical pharmacology, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
Apart from the committee members, the NHRC will coordinate the meetings of the committee, the statement said.
"The decision was taken in connection with some cases it registered suo motu on the basis of media reports alleging unethical clinical drug trials in the country. Commission had also received some complaints on the issue," the NHRC statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?