`No evidence that cellphones cause cancer`
Panaji: Contrary to the reports, there are no studies to prove that mobile users are prone to cancer, a senior US oncologist said today, adding radiation from the electronic devices is "minuscule".
"There is no evidence anywhere whatsoever that mobile devices or mobile phones have anything to do with any cancer," said Jatin P Shah, Professor of Surgery, Memorial
Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York.
He said there was unnecessary fear created in theminds of people linking mobile usage to cancer which is incorrect.
"There is no scientific evidence in the world to link both. Even mobile towers do not cause any cancer," he said.
Shah is in Goa to attend a joint meeting of the Foundation for Head and Neck Oncology and Asian Society of Head and Neck Oncology.
"There are no studies to prove that electronic gadgets cause cancer. We do know that the radiations emanating from electric transfer is of minuscule nature and do not cause any
harm to the people in the vicinity or those exposed to it," Shah said.
Commenting that media sometimes creates panic adding to the popular perception that cellphones cause cancer, he said "public at large only read what they want to read".
Replying to a query, the senior oncologist said "nothing can be said what will be studied and researched in future about this aspect. What will happen tomorrow, I don`t
know. May be new knowledge will come about with new observations on this aspect."
Millions of mobiles are used all over the world and we have not heard about any ill effect, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM