`No Japanese Encephalitis virus cited in pig population`
New Delhi: Government today said no virus of Japanese Encephalitis was found in the pig population sample of Jahangirpuri and Bawana areas of the city from where
some cases of the disease had been reported last month.
After the first outbreak of the virus on September 21 here, Delhi Government had ordered conducting a study on the pig population of Jahangirpuri and Bawana areas to check presence of Japanese Encephalitis virus in them.
Sources in the Health ministry said the study on the sample population of pigs of areas that reported for JE proved to be negative. The study was conducted in a lab in Hissar.
Since pigs are the amplifying host and carriers of the virus that causes this disease, the study was conducted on them as a measure to know the spread of the disease if any,
Four cases of Japanese Encephalitis caused by a mosquito-borne virus has been reported in the city on September 21. Of the four, one is from Gole Market in central Delhi and is admitted to the RML Hospital. The other three are from North West Delhi areas of Bawana, Pooth Khurd and Jahangirpuri.
After investigations it was found that those who contracted the disease had not got it from outside area. This established that the disease that was always reported from UP
and Haryana has entered the city.
Japanese Encephalitis is a mosquito-borne disease thataffects the membranes around the brain, and the central nervous system. It is endemic to rural and agricultural areas.
Culex tritaeniorhynchus mosquito is responsible for the spread of this disease. Pigs get it from migratory birds and this virus gets amplified 400 times when it enters the pigs`
bodies. So mosquitoes biting pigs can be dangerous for humans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical