No long-term sexual side effects after radiation therapy: Study
Washington: American scientists have claimed
that sexual function does not continuously decline after
radiation therapy treatments for prostate cancer.
In a first of its kind study, researchers led by a team
from Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
in Philadelphia, found that sexual function in prostate cancer
patients receiving external beam radiation therapy (EBRT)
decreases within the first two years after treatment but then
Senior author Richard Valicenti said, "the strongest
predictor of sexual function after treatment was sexual
function before treatment and the only statistically
significant decrease in function occurred in the first two
years after treatment after which it stabilised with no
significant changes thereafter".
"Treatment-related side effects, especially sexual
function, have a significant effect on a patient`s quality of
life and satisfaction with their overall outcome," Valicenti
He said, "The results of this study allow patients and
their partners to have a fuller understanding of the long-term
sexual side effects of EBRT and what they can expect after
treatment, which should aid in deciding on a treatment
According to the study published in the International
Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology & Physics, changes in
sexual function are some of the more common side effects from
prostate cancer treatments, but the degree to which EBRT
affects function varies widely.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre