‘No smoking’ signs actually drive smokers to light up a cigarette
London: A new psychological study has found that ‘no smoking’ signs evoke desire in smokers and encourage them to take a puff. According to scientists, this is called the ``ironic effect`` on smokers.
“You get ironic effects when you couple information that people perceive with negation,” the Daily Mail quoted Brian Earp, researcher from Oxford University as saying.
“No smoking signs in particular are everywhere. If you`re a smoker walking down a street you`re likely to pass five or six of these signs in windows or on doors. If you have a chronically positive attitude to smoking this could boost your craving,” he added.
To fortify the theory, Earp``s team conducted a test on a group of smoking volunteers by showing them a number of photographs related to ‘no smoking’ signs.
The results showed that participants, who had earlier been shown the signs, were more drawn to smoking-related images such as ashtrays and cigarettes.
“What`s interesting is the ironic effect of the negative image. No smoking signs are meant to discourage an activity but what happens is you get a kick back so that the very item that`s supposed to be prohibited becomes more desirable,” Earp said.
The study will be presented at the British Psychological Society`s annual meeting in Glasgow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145