Now, a magnetic device that head off migraine pain in two hrs
London: In a ray of hope for millions of
migraine patients for whom available drugs are of no help, American scientists have claimed to have developed a magnetic `pain-zapper` that can relieve a sufferer of headache within two hours.
The device, of the size and weight of a hair-dryer, is
based on a technique called single-pulse transcranial magnetic
stimulation (sTMS) in which electrical currents produced by
powerful magnets are used to stimulate brain cells.
At the first sign of a migraine, the device is held
against the back of the head and switched on. It gives out two
fleeting bursts of electricity which short-circuit the
`electrical storm` in the brain that causes the splitting
pain, flashing lights and blurred vision associated with
The device, developed by Californian firm Neuralieve, has
been tested on around 160 migraine patients -- both male and
female, the Daily Mail reported.
As part of the study, half of the patients were given the
gadget and half a dummy device that looked almost identical,
to take home. They were told to treat up to three attacks at
the first sign of symptoms and to record how they got on.
Almost 40 per cent of those who used the device were free
of pain two hours later compared with 22 per cent in the other
Those who used the gadget were also more likely to be
pain-free 24 and 48 hours later, according to a report in the
journal Lancet Neurology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened