Now, a new device to provide relief from painful headaches
London: Scientists claimed to have developed a battery-powered device the size and shape of an electric shaver which can treat painful headaches.
Researchers from US-based ElectroCore have claimed that the gadget when held against the neck for 90 seconds can reduce the severity of migraine and cluster headache attacks, and even prevent them, the Daily Mail reported.
In some patients the device may be as effective as drugs, without any negative side effects. It has also worked for patients who have not responded to drugs, researchers said.
Results of the first trials are expected to show a 50 per cent reduction in symptoms in half of patients.
The new device generates electrical signals and is held against the right side of the neck on the skin above the pulse of the carotid artery.
A conductive gel is placed on the device to increase its effectiveness.
A small wheel is used to adjust the stimulation until moderate muscle-twitching is felt, with that power maintained for 90 seconds. In severe cases, multiple applications may be required.
One theory of how the device works is that it increases levels of the neurotransmitters serotonin and noradrenaline, which reduces pain perception.
The gadget is available in Europe for professional and home use, but a doctor`s authorisation is required. It costs 250 pounds for a device with 150 treatments, and 150 pounds for one with 50 treatments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon