Now, a pet therapy to cheer up kids!
London: A children`s hospital in US has developed a new "pet therapy" under which a golden retriever dog visits patients in intensive care to cheer them up.
The eight-year-old dog, Jake, visited the Le Bonheur Children`s hospital in Tennessee, and met a six-year-old patient Alex Gosa as a part of the hospital`s new Pet Therapy scheme.
The boy, who lost a toe in an accident recently, stroked the golden retriever as part of "doctor`s orders".
When he was told the dog is two years older than him the boy replied: "I`m catching up with him."
The treatment, more commonly known as AAT -animal-assisted therapy- has been used to treat patients with mental and physical health problems since the late 18th century, the `Daily Mail` reported.
The study published in the US Early Childhood Education Journal showed that children in particular benefit from AAT.
Staff at the hospital said pet therapy has resulted in a better outcome for patients.
It concluded that as a child perceives animals as non-judgemental it is easier for the child to build up a `social and emotional support system` with them.
The programme has been going on for two weeks and it is the first time animals have been allowed in the intensive care unit.
Hospital spokesperson Sara Burnett said both patients and staff have benefited.
"We all stop and pet them. Grandparents do. Physicians do. Family members and siblings. I think there is something disarming about seeing a dog in a hospital. It makes you stop your `busyness` - to take a minute and pet a dog," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22