Now, a simple blood test to check Down`s syndrome!
London: Scientists have developed a simple blood test to check unborn children for Down`s syndrome, which they claim could save pregnant women from undergoing invasive tests that risk losing their baby.
The blood test has been developed by the scientists in Cyprus after they identified the key DNA difference that flags up Downs syndrome, a chromosomal condition caused by presence of all or part of an extra 21st chromosome.
Infants with Down`s syndrome, which is characterized by severe physical and mental impairments, have an extra copy of Chromosome 21. As DNA can cross the placenta from the baby to the mother, the blood test looks for chemical differences and extra chromosomes -- a telltale defect in unborn babies.
The scientists now believe the simple technique should be rolled out as a screening test in future, British newspaper the `Daily Express` reported.
Dr Philippos Patsalis of the Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics said: "The method is simple and fast and easy to perform in every genetic diagnostic lab worldwide
because it does not require expensive equipment, software or special infrastructure.
"Such a non-invasive approach will avoid the risk of miscarriages of normal pregnancies caused by current, more invasive procedures."
The findings have been published `Nature Medicine` journal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!