Now, app to prevent teens from smoking
Washington: A new app has been developed to motivate teens to stay away from tobacco and teach behavioural skills to help them resist pro- tobacco pressures.
The app prevents teens from smoking and encourage them to quit if they`ve started and is available free on the Apple iTunes Store.
Designer Alexander Prokhorov, M.D., Ph.D., a professor in the Department of Behavioral Science at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center said that the app combines education and entertainment with comics and interactive games.
Equipped with colorful animated teen characters and cool tunes, the app - available for iOS platform- addresses those who have never smoked, those wanting to quit, those having trouble quitting and those not interested in quitting.
The app includes gaming activities that reinforce smoking-cessation tips tailored for the teenage audience. In one game the user`s task is to tap away various temptations to smoke -depicted as objects - that rapidly moves around the smartphone screen.
Another game challenges teens to match two pairs of cards that contain memorable images of smoking consequences including yellow teeth, bad breath and stained fingers.
Prokhorov said that every module of the app was carefully designed with teens in mind, as most of them are very particular about their appearance and don`t realize that smoking can affect their appearance well before they develop cancer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok