Now, bask in mushrooms to get Vitamin D!
Toronto: Next time you go out in the sun to get some Vitamin D, think about mushrooms.
Why mushrooms? Well, this is what is going to be your best source of Vitamin D soon.
In order to give mushrooms a vitamin D boost, researchers exposed them to quick pulses of ultraviolet light. And voila! In less than a second, a mushroom with effectively no vitamin D had plenty of it!
"The exciting thing I think is how rapidly we can take a mushroom that has no vitamin D in it whatsoever, and in less than one second we can increase the vitamin D content to over 100 percent (of the recommended daily allowance)," Michael Kalaras, scholar at Penn State University in Pennsylvania, was quoted as saying in Toronto Star
Quick pulses of ultraviolet light flash over the mushroom's surface set off a chemical process that converts a compound similar to cholesterol inside the mushrooms into vitamin D.
One serving of mushrooms has a day's worth of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin D, which is 600 IUs (or 15 micrograms) per day.
Researchers suggest that smaller amounts of mushrooms may be all you need if you have other sources of vitamin D in your diet.
The human body needs vitamin D to maintain bone health and helps regulate the immune system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan