Now, e-nose that can smell urine samples and detect prostate cancer
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Researchers have now developed an electronic nose which can detect prostate cancer by simply smelling urine samples.
Prostate cancer is a type of cancer that only affects men. It tends to develop in men over the age of 50, although cases of early cancer development have also been seen.
Electronic nose comes as a good news as the current methods available for diagnosing prostate cancer in men are quite expensive.
In a new study, the 'eNose' successfully discriminated between prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) by 'sniffing' urine headspace - the space directly above the urine sample.
The heterogeneity of prostate cancer makes it difficult to diagnose and predict tumour progression. Thus, there is a need for novel diagnostic tools.
The eNose was tested on 50 patients who had been diagnosed with prostate cancer confirmed by biopsy, and 15 patients with BPH.
The eNose is a device that consists of a cluster of non-specific sensors.
When the device is exposed to the sample, it produces a profile or a “smell print”.
Results with the eNose confirmed that using urine headspace, the eNose was able to discriminate prostate cancer from BPH, said the study appeared in the Journal Of Urology.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray