Now, hi-tech glasses to `cure colour-blindness`
London: New high-tech spectacles that could cure colour blindness and allow people to see the full spectrum have been developed by scientists for the first time.
Scientists claim the spectacle lenses can cure red-green colour blindness, which affects some women and one in every 10 men.
The Oxy-Iso lenses were designed by a US research institute to allow doctors to spot bruising and veins that are difficult to see, `BBC News` reported.
Tests suggest the glasses can help to enhance reds and greens in the colour-blind. But they could not be worn by drivers, because they reduce the ability to perceive yellows and blues.
Theoretical neurobiologist Mark Changizi, who invented the glasses with Oxy-Iso lenses, believes human colour vision "evolved above and beyond that found in other mammals allowing us to sense colour-signals on the skin, including blushes, blanches, as well as sensing health".
"So the Oxy-Iso filter concentrates its enhancement exactly where red-green colour-blind folk are deficient," Changizi said.
Daniel Bor, a colour-blind neuroscientist at the Sackler Centre for Consciousness Science at the University of Sussex, said they made red colours appear very vibrant.
However Bor had some reservations, because they also made yellow light invisible.
"My daughter`s baby monitor has some yellow lights on it and I couldn`t see them at all," he said.
The invention was an accidental discovery. In 2006, Changizi suggested that humans had evolved the ability to observe subtle changes in skin colour, such as when people blush, giving them a way to detect social cues and work out the emotions of friends or enemies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA