Now, hi-tech glasses to `cure colour-blindness`
London: New high-tech spectacles that could cure colour blindness and allow people to see the full spectrum have been developed by scientists for the first time.
Scientists claim the spectacle lenses can cure red-green colour blindness, which affects some women and one in every 10 men.
The Oxy-Iso lenses were designed by a US research institute to allow doctors to spot bruising and veins that are difficult to see, `BBC News` reported.
Tests suggest the glasses can help to enhance reds and greens in the colour-blind. But they could not be worn by drivers, because they reduce the ability to perceive yellows and blues.
Theoretical neurobiologist Mark Changizi, who invented the glasses with Oxy-Iso lenses, believes human colour vision "evolved above and beyond that found in other mammals allowing us to sense colour-signals on the skin, including blushes, blanches, as well as sensing health".
"So the Oxy-Iso filter concentrates its enhancement exactly where red-green colour-blind folk are deficient," Changizi said.
Daniel Bor, a colour-blind neuroscientist at the Sackler Centre for Consciousness Science at the University of Sussex, said they made red colours appear very vibrant.
However Bor had some reservations, because they also made yellow light invisible.
"My daughter`s baby monitor has some yellow lights on it and I couldn`t see them at all," he said.
The invention was an accidental discovery. In 2006, Changizi suggested that humans had evolved the ability to observe subtle changes in skin colour, such as when people blush, giving them a way to detect social cues and work out the emotions of friends or enemies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah