Now, sleep disorder `could be diagnosed from sound of snoring`
London: Scientists claim to have designed a computer programme which can analyse one`s snoring sound and accurately diagnose the sleeping disorder behind the breathing problems that can reduce one`s lifespan.
Sleep apnoea causes patients` upper airway to collapse repeatedly, cutting off airflow. Doctors examine how patients breathe while they sleep for signs of the condition, in which the throat wrongly closes over causing the patient to start and briefly wake.
Now, an international team, led by the University of Queensland and Princess Alexandra Hospital, has come up with the computer programme to diagnose the sleeping disorder to ensure more patients are diagnosed with the condition and given accurate treatment.
In their research, the scientists took recordings of 20 patients suffering from sleep apnoea and then analysed the rhythms of their breathing.
They then tested the new system on another 66 potential patients. They found that the recordings were able to diagnose the condition successfully in up to 94 percent of cases, `The Daily Telegraph` reported.
The results of their study, presented at a conference on sleep in Melbourne, have been welcomed by experts.
Dr Neil Stanley, a sleep expert, said: "An accurate device to diagnose sleep apnoea from recordings of snoring would be extremely helpful. Many patients are told about their snoring by their bed partner, but some can go years not even realising there is a problem. This (method) seems to be very accurate for low level sleep apnoea."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption