Now, special grants for tech-driven TB solutions
New Delhi: In a bid to bolster tuberculosis control in India, a new programme was announced by a private firm Monday allowing special grants for technology-driven ideas to control the disease.
The grants will be made available by the "Grand Challenges in Tuberculosis Control" (GC-TBC), an initiative by Innovation Knowledge Progress (IKP) Knowledge Park, Hyderabad.
This year, the programme primarily focuses on seeding Indian innovators to better TB treatment methods, using innovative techniques, a release said Monday.
IKP Knowledge Park is a premier science park facilitating business-driven research. It is being helped by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the US Agency for International Development in this effort, the press release said.
The treatment for TB is lengthy, requiring adherence to full medication course. While patients in the public sector obtain medication through a Directly Observed Therapy (DOTS) for a minimum of six months, those in the private sector are said to receive little or no support during the treatment process.
Taking this discrimination into consideration, such technology-oriented solutions for monitoring treatment are the need of the hour, the release said.
"Going by the overwhelming response to our call for proposals on adherence to TB treatment, I see a surge in interest among individuals to solve socially relevant issues that plague India," Deepanwita Chattopadhyay, managing director and CEO of IKP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'