Now, super tomatoes that can combat cancer
London: British researchers claim to have developed new "super tomatoes" fortified with minerals which can improve your immune system and help prevent cancer.
The new varieties, which have hit shelves across the UK, have been enriched with selenium, a powerful anti-oxidant which the researchers believe could not only boost the immune system but also help prevent cancer.
The mineral, found naturally in foods such as Brazil nuts, shellfish and liver, is also important for the thyroid gland, which determines how quickly the body uses energy and
also produces proteins, the Daily Mail reported.
Food scientists for Marks & Spencer, the company which has developed the new variety, turned their attention to the mineral because it is lacking in UK diets.
Low concentrations in farm soil means little of the mineral finds its way into home-grown foods. There is evidence that a deficiency may lead to heart disease and, while it does not tend to directly cause illnesses, it can make the body more likely to catch infections.
Dr Carina Norris, of the Nutrition Society, said the tomatoes were a great way to get the nutrient into our diets.
"Selenium plays an important role in supporting the immune system, and it?s thought that getting adequate selenium reduces our risk of cancer," she said.
"But many people in the UK don`t get enough from their diets -- the latest data suggests the average person consumes well below the target of 60mg for women and 75 for men.
"So to get a `difficult` nutrient like selenium into a food that more or less everyone eats -- such as tomatoes --has to be a good thing."
The new tomato follows Marks & Spencer`s Vitamin D milk, yoghurts and juice it has developed to help tackle health problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh