Now, toothbrush to polish teeth with ultrasonic waves
London: Scientists claim to have developed the world`s first toothbrush which uses only ultrasound waves to clean teeth - meaning there is no abrasive brushing.
While manual toothbrushes have long been replaced by whizzyelectric versions boasting super-fast vibrations and expensive whitening heads, the technology remains the same - abrasive particles in toothpaste rubbed against the teeth to remove plaque.
The new high-tech product launched in the UK last week is claiming to be the world`s first 100 per cent ultrasound toothbrush, the `Daily Mail` reported.
Some ultrasound technology has been incorporated into electric designs in the past, but this is the first time it has been used alone, requiring no movement of the brush.
The new Emmi-dent toothbrush makes a staggering 86 million sound waves per minute and uses only these waves to clean the teeth.
The product will cost 79.95 pounds and the manufacturers claim the ultrasound waves emitted cause millions of tiny bubbles to form in the special 3.99 pounds toothpaste you have to use with it.
These bubbles are small enough to get between the teeth and into the gums, where they implode, killing bacteria and dislodging tartar and food debris. This means you don`t have to use a conventional brushing motion.
The technology also kills any bacteria left on the brush head.
Since people can`t feel ultrasound, the company ,Emmi Ultrasonic AG, has added a vibration to the brush to reassure that it`s working.
Professor Damien Walmsley, of the British Dental Association, said proper tests need to be done to prove the efficacy of the brush.
"The most important factor in maintaining good oral hygiene still remains regular brushing with fluoride toothpaste and avoiding excessive consumption of sweet or acidic food and drink," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them