Obese kids? Don`t live near fast food joints
London: That friendly fast food kiosk at the corner of your street could be the reason for your child’s unwanted weight gain!
Children living in areas surrounded by fast food outlets are more likely to be overweight or obese, shows new research.
"We found that the more unhealthy food outlets there are in a neighbourhood, the greater the number of overweight and obese children,” explained professor Andy Jones from the University of East Anglia's (UEA) Norwich Medical School.
The research looked at weight data from more than a million children and compared it with the availability of unhealthy food from outlets including fish and chip shops, burger bars, pizza places and sweet shops.
They found that older children in particular are more likely to be overweight when living in close proximity to a high density of unhealthy eating outlets.
“The results were more pronounced in secondary school children who have more spending power to choose their own food,” said Jones.
But the association was reversed in areas with more healthy food options available.
“This is important because obesity among children can lead to childhood diabetes, low self-esteem and orthopaedic and cardiovascular problems,” said Jones.
According to Andreea Cetateanu from UEA’s school of environmental sciences, “If we can use these findings to help create a more healthy food environment, we may be able to help reverse this trend for future generations.”
The research also took into account factors such as people living in rural locations having to travel further to buy food, said the study published in the journal Health and Place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured