Obesity levels in European countries to go up: Study
London: Slim people in the streets of European countries may be a rare sight by 2030 as a study projected that rates of obesity and overweight in both male and females would go up in almost all European countries.
However, the forecast rates vary throughout the 53 Euro-region countries, with projected male obesity levels ranging from 15 percent in the Netherlands and Belgium to 47 percent in Ireland.
The highest obesity prevalence in females was projected in Ireland (47 percent), and the lowest in Romania (10 percent).
"Our study presents a worrying picture of rising obesity across Europe. Policies to reverse this trend are urgently needed," said Laura Webber from the UK Health Forum in London.
The statistical modelling study incorporated all available data on body mass index (BMI) and obesity/overweight trends in all 53 of the WHO's Euro-region countries.
In almost all countries the proportion of overweight and obesity in males was projected to increase between 2010 and 2030 - to reach 75 percent in the Britain, 80 percent in Czech Republic, Spain and Poland, and 90 percent in Ireland, the highest level calculated.
The lowest projected levels of overweight and obesity were found in Belgium (44 percent), and the Netherlands (47 percent).
Similar trends in overweight and obesity were projected in women, with Ireland again showing the greatest proportion (84 percent).
The lowest male obesity prevalence was projected in Romania (10 percent).
The study was recently presented at the “EuroPRevent Congress” in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in