Older mums likely to have autistic children
Washington: A new study has revealed that women who become mothers at an advanced age are 50percent more likely to have autistic children.
The study led by UC Davis Health System researchers showed that a 40-year-old woman``s risk of having a child later diagnosed with autism was 50 percent greater than that of a woman between 25 and 29 years old.
It showed that the incremental risk of having a child with autism increased by 18 percent — nearly one fifth — for every five-year increase in the mother``s age.
Advanced paternal age is also known as a risk factor for having a child with autism, however, the elevated risk is only when the father is older and the mother is under 30.
For example, one study reported that fathers over 40 were six times more likely than fathers under 30 to have a child with autism.
"This study challenges a current theory in autism epidemiology that identifies the father``s age as a key factor in increasing the risk of having a child with autism," said Janie Shelton, the study``s lead author and a doctoral student in the UC Davis Department of Public Health Sciences.
"It shows that while maternal age consistently increases the risk of autism, the father``s age only contributes an increased risk when the father is older and the mother is under 30 years old.
“Among mothers over 30, increases in the father``s age do not appear to further increase the risk of autism," Shelton added.
Earlier studies have observed that advanced maternal age is a risk factor for a variety of other birth-related conditions, including infertility, early fetal loss, low birth-weight, chromosomal aberrations and congenital anomalies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi