Omega-3 eases anxiety among young
Washington: Consuming more fish oil seems to significantly ease anxiety and inflammation among healthy young people.
Inflammation is the way the body reacts to infection, irritation or other injury, the key feature being redness, warmth, swelling and pain.
Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids have long been considered healthy dietary additives, reports the journal Brain, Behaviour and Immunity.
Previous research suggests these compounds might reduce the level of cytokines, compounds that promote inflammation, according to an Ohio University statement.
Psychological stress has been shown to up cytokine output, so the researchers wondered if increasing omega-3 might mitigate that process, reducing inflammation. They turned to a group of medical students to test their theory.
"We hypothesized that giving some students omega-3 supplements would decrease their production of proinflammatory cytokines, compared to other students who only received a placebo," explained Janice Kiecolt-Glaser, professor of psychiatry at Ohio.
Half the students received omega-3 supplements while the other half were given placebo pills. Those receiving the omega-3 showed a 20 percent reduction in anxiety compared to the placebo group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- DNA: Govt claims no power shortage, but India looms in darkness
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Heatwave toll rises to 1,826, over 1,300 dead in Andhra Pradesh
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination