One in six people at risk of stroke, say experts
New Delhi: One in six people around the world suffer from stroke, making it the second leading cause of death worldwide, doctors said Friday on World Stroke Day.
"The main problem is that people are not able to recognise the symptoms of stroke. If the patient is brought to hospital in time there are chances of full recovery. Awareness is needed," said Anand Kumar Saxena, consultant neurologist, B.L. Kapur Memorial Hospital in the capital.
The theme for the World Stroke Day campaign this year is `One in Six`, as it emphasises on awareness creation, prevention and recovery for a stroke patient.
The need is to be aware of the causes and symptoms of the disease in order to act in time, say experts.
"The warning signs of stroke are sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arms or legs, visual loss, trouble in walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination, severe headache with no known cause and sudden loss of consciousness," Saxena added.
The disorder is now shaping up into a lifestyle related problem as it is also striking young people, say experts.
"The young are also vulnerable to lifestyle-related disorders. Strokes attack this strata as they are high on junk food consumption," said P.N. Renjen, senior neurosurgeon at Apollo Hospital, Delhi.
Also known as Peripheral Arterial Diseases (PAD), strokes are caused due to blockage of arteries in the body.
"Stroke can be prevented by keeping a check on high blood pressure, diabetes, and high blood cholesterol. Be physically active and exercise regularly to keep weight under control," warned Renjen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city