Ophthalmologist G. N. Rao honoured by US institute
Hyderabad: The American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) honoured eminent ophthalmologist Gullapalli N. Rao with its outstanding humanitarian service award, said a statement here Tuesday.
G. N. Rao is the founder and chairman of L.V. Prasad Eye Institute. This award was bestowed on him in recognition of the eye care delivery model he created with the institute and his contributions to prevention of blindness globally.
The award was presented to Rao on Nov 17, at the AAO's annual meeting in New Orleans, said the statement.
LVPEI's model of eye care, represented by a pyramid, emphasizes the creation of sustainable permanent facilities within communities, staffed and managed by locally trained human resources, and linked effectively with successively higher levels of care.
Rao was also earlier the recipient of international prevention of blindness award of the Academy.
The L.V. Prasad Eye Institute was established in 1986-87 here as a not-for-profit comprehensive eye care institution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!