Oral insulin for diabetic patients
New Delhi: To avert the possibility of Hypoglycaemia an American biopharmaceutical company has developed Oral Insulin. This Insulin is already being used by patients and is delivering results through the Buccal Mucosa (the inside lining of the mouth).
Oral Insulin also offers ease of administration and convenience as also freedom from the all too frequent and annoying needle pricks. The device design makes it possible for patients to carry Oral-Insulin device in their coat pockets or hand bags and doesn’t require refrigeration. The ease of using the device doesn’t require privacy that is needed to administer an insulin injection.
Says Dr. Subhash Wangnoo, Diabetologist, Apollo Hospital, New Delhi, “Oral insulin is an alternative mode of insulin delivery. Because of less bioavailability the dose required is high. Efficacy and potency is same this is best suited for those requiring less dose of insulin. People still need to take basal insulin along with it. Oral Insulin has the potential of ensuring better patient compliance since it doesn’t have to be injected. Better compliance lead to improved glycemic control and thus minimize the serious diabetic complications such as diabetic foot etc.”
Diabetes is a condition in which the body either does not produce sufficient amounts of the hormone Insulin or does not respond to the Insulin produced. This leads to high blood sugar levels leading eventually to life threatening complications. Statistics have it that a large number of Insulin dependent people discontinue treatment on account of the side effects that injectable Insulin brings on.
If your body is not producing Insulin, it needs to be provided from the outside. As of now the only recommended way of doing that is to inject it subcutaneously (under the skin) from where it is absorbed quickly. If, on the other hand, your body is resistant to the Insulin that it produces, you need to lower that resistance. This is achieved through drugs known as Oral Hypoglycaemic (sugar – lowering) Agents. ). Thus it is emerging as an exciting prospect for researchers and clinicians alike for it is possible to control the number of puffs thus the quantity of insulin delivered to the body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly