Organic strawberries ‘are more nutritious’
London:Scientists have revealed that organic strawberries are both tastier and better for health.
Naturally produced strawberries also have a longer shelf life and a richer, fruitier flavour, according to the researchers. According to them, they have more antioxidants and vitamin C than their conventional counterparts.
"We show that you can have high quality, healthy produce, without resorting to an arsenal of pesticides,” the Daily Mail quoted Dr John Reganold, who led the study at Washington State University in the U.S., as saying.
The finding came out of a detailed comparison of organic and conventional strawberries from 13 pairs of neighboring farms in Watsonville, Calif., where 40% of the state`s strawberry crop is produced. A team of ecologists, food chemists, soil scientists and other experts analyzed a variety of factors before concluding that the organic berries and the dirt they were raised in were superior.
The organic fruit had `` significantly higher`` levels of antioxidants - nutrients that mop up potentially dangerous and cancer-causing ``free radicals`` in the body.The researchers found that the soil on the organic farms was healthier and contained more bacteria and insect life.
The report has been published in the journal PLoS One.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row