Organic tomatoes contain more vitamin C: Study
Washington: Tomatoes grown in organic farms contain higher concentration of sugars, vitamin C and stress resistance compounds as compared to the conventionally grown fruit, a new study has found.
Maria Raquel Alcantara Miranda and colleagues from the Federal University of Ceara, Brazil compared the weights and biochemical properties of tomatoes from organic and conventional farms.
They found that tomatoes grown on organic farms were approximately 40 per cent smaller than those grown by conventional techniques, and they also accumulated more compounds linked to stress resistance.
According to researchers, organic farming exposes plants to greater stress than conventional farming.
They suggest that this increased stress may be the reason organic tomatoes had higher levels sugars, vitamin C and pigment molecules like lycopene, an anti-oxidant compound - all of which are associated with the biological response to stress.
Based on these observations, the researchers suggest that growing strategies for fruits and vegetables should aim to balance plant stress with efforts to maximise yield and fruit size, rather than trying to eliminate stress to increase yields.
The study was published in the journal PLOS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!