Orissa High Court issues notice to Centre on tobacco ban PIL
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court today issued notice to the Centre in response to a PIL seeking prohibition on manufacture, sale and marketing of smokeless tobacco products like gutkha, zarda, pan masala, khaini and gudakhu which contain harmful nicotine.
A division bench of Justice Pradeep K Mohanty and Justice S K Mishra gave an order to issue notices to the Centre when the petitioner, Centre for Legal Aid to Poor, a voluntary organisation, filed an amended petition as was allowed last week.
The Centre has been asked to file the counters within four weeks and the matter would come up for further adjudication after that, the petitioner`s lawyer Janmenjaya Katakia said.
The Odisha government in January this year had issued a notification banning sale, manufacture and consumption of gutkha pursuant to a notification issued by the Centre in August, 2012 as per the Food Safety and Standards (Prohibition and Restriction on sales) Act of 2006.
Challenging the Odisha government notification, CLAP had moved the High Court alleging that the notification was ambiguous, not comprehensive and as a result did not yield any result.
Responding to the notice of the HC, the state government informed the court that its notification was issued pursuant to the Centre`s notification.
The state government also said it had no problem in issuing another notification banning manufacture, sale and consumption of other forms of chewing tobacco, if the Union government amended its notification.
Accordingly, the High Court allowed the petitioner to amend its petition arraying the Union Government as an opposite party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly