Orissa records highest number of malaria cases
New Delhi: Orissa recorded the maximum number of cases of malaria in January-July period this year followed by Chhattisgarh while Kerala registered the most number of dengue victims followed by Karnataka.
The country was by and large free of Kala azar except for the states of Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal, which reported 5982, 1442 and 337 cases respectively by July 31 this year.
According to the latest figures submitted by the Union Health Ministry to the Lok Sabha today, a total of 2,62,582 cases with 78 deaths were reported in the country.
89,466 cases of malaria were reported from Orissa followed by Chhattisgarh which recorded 31,940 cases. Jharkhand reported 26,489 cases, while Maharashtra reported 17,060 cases followed by Gujarat, Assam, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh.
However, Maharashtra which reported 17,060 cases of malaria, recorded the highest number of deaths at 24 followed by Orissa (20). No fatalities due to malaria were reported from any other state.
India has recorded 16, 683 dengue cases till July 31 with 59 fatalities.
While Kerala reported most dengue cases at 5,947 with 20 deaths, Karnataka reported 4,039 cases and 11 deaths, Tamil Nadu reported 3,079 cases with zero deaths and Maharashtra reported 965 with 19 deaths.
Apart from that, 6,696 cases of chikungunya were reported in the country with Andhra Pradesh reporting the maximum cases ar 2,850.
Citing the causes of the diseases, the Ministry said the incidence and transmission of vedctor-borne diseases is due to numerous ecological, biological and other factors including rapid and unplanned urbanization, water storage practices, sanitation, vegetaion and intermittent rains etc.
Further, Union Health Minister said the government of India is providing technical and financial assistance to the state governments for prevention and control of vector-borne diseases.
Additionally, certain commidities like DDT, synthetic pyrethroid, long-lasting insecticidal nets, rapid diagnostic kits for malaria are supplied by the central governent to endemic states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Pakistan needs to actively pursue terrorist organisations using their soil, says US
- PSEB 10th result 2016: Tarn Taran girl Simrandeep Kaur tops Punjab School Education Board 10th result with 99.08%
- Check Biharboard.bih.nic.in & Biharboard.ac.in for BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12th XII Intermediate Arts Result 2016 to be announced today - just an hour to go
- When Rajiv Gandhi explained features of a new Indian Navy ship to his parents-in-law
- Congolese's murder: VK Singh deputed to allay African envoys' concerns