Over 11,500 patients died at AIIMS in 3 years during treatment
New Delhi: Over 11,500 patients died at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in the past three years while undergoing treatment, an RTI reply has revealed.
Dr S Sathpathy, a professor with the department of hospital administration at AIIMS, said 11,566 patients died during their stay in the main hospital, the Cardio-Thoracic and Neuro-Sciences centre, R P Centre and the casualty in the past three years.
Mumbai-resident Ajay Marathe had filed the RTI seeking information regarding the number of deaths in the hospital in the past three years.
"So many deaths and still then organ donation has not taken up in the hospital. Nearly eight organs can be retrieved from one body. It`s unfortunate that people are still reluctant to donate," Marathe said.
Quoting the reply, he said, "Of the total 4,100 deaths reported in 2008-2009, 797 happened in the casualty, 2,380 in the main hospital and 923 in the C N Centre. In the following year, a total of 4,159 deaths took place including 431 in the casualty, 2700 in the Main hospital and 978 in the C N Centre.
"In 2010-2011, 738 deaths were reported in the casualty, 2,586 in the main hospital and 853 in the C N Centre."
"A total of nine deaths have happened in the past three years in the R P Centre at AIIMS," Marathe said.
Besides this, 960 patients were declared brought dead in the past three years, Sathpathy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31