`Over 25% urban Indian men have low testosterone`
New Delhi: More than 25 percent of urban Indian males have low testosterone hormones due to unhealthy lifestyles. However, lack of awareness means that many patients go undiagnosed, doctors say.
`Male Hypogonadism` affects 26.1 percent of the working population of Indian men and is caused by unhealthy lifestyle, including smoking, consuming alcohol and junk food, high stress levels etc. The hormone plays a key role in masculine growth and development during puberty.
According to doctors, symptoms include decreased libido, impaired erectile function, muscle weakness, fatigue and depression.
"It is an established clinical condition in medicine and in India the numbers are rising drastically over the years. However, many patients with this disorder go undiagnosed," Ajit Saxena, senior consultant urologist and andrologist, Apollo Indraprastha Hospitals, told IANS.
"There is a clear need to increase the awareness of hypogonadism with the rising evidence suggesting a rise in the prevalence of the disorder in working population of Indian men," he added.
Sadly, not many general physicians are aware of this disorder. Hence, the lack of awareness coupled with inhibition on the part of the patient to discuss his sexual health, results in the patient failing to get diagnosed.
"Patients and doctors both need not shy away from issues related to sexual health. Moreover, India needs to develop guidelines that are tailored for the Indian patients," Shalender Bhasin, MD, professor of medicine at Boston University School of Medicine said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble