Over eating super foods can harm health: Study
London: From sweet potatoes to blueberries
and from lentils to broccoli, super foods have been for long
hailed for their age-defying effects, but a new research has
found that too much of the food can impair muscle function.
According to the scientists at Kansas State University in
the US, the nutrients balance required by the body is affected
by stuffing it full of the antioxidants contained in
"Too much of the super foods could mean there are not
enough `pro-oxidants` - usually considered the evil twin of
antioxidants - in the body," said the researchers.
"I think what a lot of people don`t realise is that the
antioxidant and pro-oxidant balance is really delicate," said
lead researcher Steven Copp.
While the antioxidants slow down the damage to muscles
and other organs by the process known as oxidisation, the
pro-oxidants speed it up.
But too many antioxidants tilt the balance and make it
harder to breathe. It also prevents one from doing the
exercise that could help stay fit, according to the study
published in the Journal of Applied Physiology.
"One of the things we`ve seen in our research is that one
can not just give a larger dose of antioxidants and presume
that there will be some sort of beneficial effect. In fact,
it can actually make a problem worse," Copp added.
For the research, Copp and his team tested different
doses of antioxidants on animals.
They observed impaired muscle function in those animals,
which were given too much of antioxidants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Sarbananda Sonowal takes charge as Assam’s first BJP CM, PM Modi attends his swearing-in
- Desperate times, desperate measures! Parineeti Chopra's make-up ain’t gonna stop – See pic
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When Shikhar Dhawan, Yuvraj Singh became Gabbar and taxi driver
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis