Over eating super foods can harm health: Study
London: From sweet potatoes to blueberries
and from lentils to broccoli, super foods have been for long
hailed for their age-defying effects, but a new research has
found that too much of the food can impair muscle function.
According to the scientists at Kansas State University in
the US, the nutrients balance required by the body is affected
by stuffing it full of the antioxidants contained in
"Too much of the super foods could mean there are not
enough `pro-oxidants` - usually considered the evil twin of
antioxidants - in the body," said the researchers.
"I think what a lot of people don`t realise is that the
antioxidant and pro-oxidant balance is really delicate," said
lead researcher Steven Copp.
While the antioxidants slow down the damage to muscles
and other organs by the process known as oxidisation, the
pro-oxidants speed it up.
But too many antioxidants tilt the balance and make it
harder to breathe. It also prevents one from doing the
exercise that could help stay fit, according to the study
published in the Journal of Applied Physiology.
"One of the things we`ve seen in our research is that one
can not just give a larger dose of antioxidants and presume
that there will be some sort of beneficial effect. In fact,
it can actually make a problem worse," Copp added.
For the research, Copp and his team tested different
doses of antioxidants on animals.
They observed impaired muscle function in those animals,
which were given too much of antioxidants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam