`Oxytocin has no effect on quality of fruits and veggies`
New Delhi: Oxytocin, the hormone much in
the news recently for being used to ripen fruits and
vegetables, might not after all have any such effect on food
A study by the Punjab Agricultural University on the
effect of oxytocin on the yield and quality of bottle gourd
revealed that the number of vegetables and their weight was
unaltered with the injection of the hormone.
It had no effect on crop yield, according to a written
reply submitted in the Rajya Sabha by the Health Ministry.
In addition, the study conducted in 2008-2009, shows
that oxytocin injection does not influence the quality of the
fruits as the dry matter, protein, carbohydrates and fat
contents were similar by those of the non-injected plants.
The reply further said that the Government has made it
mandatory to market oxytocin injection in single unit blister
packs only. Instructions have been issued by the Drug
Controller General of India to all state drug controllers to
regulate and monitor manufacture and distribution of oxytocin.
Interestingly, the reply was by made by Minister of
State for Health and Family Welfare Dinesh Trivedi, who had
himself raised the issue of the safety of the hormone.
Trivedi had written a letter to Health Secretary
Sujatha Rao urging the ministry to take immediate action
against the indiscriminate use of the harmful Oxytocin by
According to medical practitioners and other health
experts, the most difficult part is identifying any fruit or
vegetable which has been grown with the help of oxytocin and
not in the natural manner.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India