Pak docs create history by removing 46-kg tumour
Islamabad: A team of surgeons in Al-Shifa International Hospital have created history by removing a world record giant tumour of 46kg from the abdomen of a 72-year-old female patient.
Earlier, the weight of the largest-ever tumour removed in the world stood at 45-kilogram.
Two weeks ago, the patient, hailing from North-West Frontier Province (NWFP), visited Shifa International to seek advice regarding removal of the tumour, which had been diagnosed 13 years ago, reports The News.
The team of surgeons led by consultant general Dr Mohammad Amir and consisting of Dr Saeed Akhtar, Dr Athar, Dr Minhal, Dr Asad, Dr Imran and Dr Shawkat Matabdin undertook the abdominal tumour surgery after the ailing woman was advised against surgery by doctors at every health facility she visited in the past.
The high-risk surgery continued for nine hours, leading to excision of the tumour.
The tumour has been preserved in pathological lab of Shifa Hospital for professional references.
The pathological examination revealed it to be the liposarcoma, a cancer of fatty tissue most commonly found in the back part of the belly, the doctors said.
After a couple of days stay in the hospital, the patient was discharged without any complications and is now on the road to recovery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued