Pak docs create history by removing 46-kg tumour
Islamabad: A team of surgeons in Al-Shifa International Hospital have created history by removing a world record giant tumour of 46kg from the abdomen of a 72-year-old female patient.
Earlier, the weight of the largest-ever tumour removed in the world stood at 45-kilogram.
Two weeks ago, the patient, hailing from North-West Frontier Province (NWFP), visited Shifa International to seek advice regarding removal of the tumour, which had been diagnosed 13 years ago, reports The News.
The team of surgeons led by consultant general Dr Mohammad Amir and consisting of Dr Saeed Akhtar, Dr Athar, Dr Minhal, Dr Asad, Dr Imran and Dr Shawkat Matabdin undertook the abdominal tumour surgery after the ailing woman was advised against surgery by doctors at every health facility she visited in the past.
The high-risk surgery continued for nine hours, leading to excision of the tumour.
The tumour has been preserved in pathological lab of Shifa Hospital for professional references.
The pathological examination revealed it to be the liposarcoma, a cancer of fatty tissue most commonly found in the back part of the belly, the doctors said.
After a couple of days stay in the hospital, the patient was discharged without any complications and is now on the road to recovery.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani