Pancreas capable of `regenerating` insulin-producing cells perpetually
Washington: Researchers have shown that mice`s pancreas have cells, which are capable of being converted into insulin-producing beta cells.
They also demonstrated that all pancreatic beta cells can be regenerated several times and that chemically-induced diabetes in mice can thus be "treated" repeatedly.
Type I diabetes, characterised by the selective loss of pancreatic, insulin-producing beta cells, is a condition that affects more than 30 million people worldwide.
In 2009, researchers at the Valrose Biology Institute (Inserm/University Nice Sophia Antipolis) managed to convert glucagon-producing a cells into beta cells in young mice.
Today, thanks to the use of transgenic mice, they report the mechanisms resulting in this exchange of cell identity and specifically showed that pancreatic ductal cells can be continuously mobilised and literally transformed into a and subsequently into beta cells, a process that works at any age.
Such transformation is obtained through the forced activation of the Pax4 gene in the a cells of the pancreas. The resulting cascade of events causes the generation of brand-new beta cells, thanks to the reactivation of development genes.
Throughout this process, cells are regenerated and gradually adopt the profile of beta cells. This means that the pancreas has a virtually inexhaustible source of cells capable of replacing the beta cells.
Patrick Collombat, Inserm research director and principal author of the study, said that by artificially inducing type I diabetes in mice, they also show that all the pancreatic beta cells can be regenerated at least three times using this mechanism.
Diabetes, induced in this way, in the mouse, can be literally "treated" multiple times thanks to the new stock of functional, insulin-producing beta cells.
This work has been published online in the Developmental Cell journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing