Parents more likely to suffer depression in 1st year after childbirth: Study
Washington: A new study has revealed that parents face the highest risk of depression in the first year after a child’s birth.
Experiencing an episode of depression is highly likely between their child``s birth and 12th year of age, with the highest rates in the first year after birth, said scientists at Medical Research Council, London, England.
"Depression in parents is associated with adverse behavioural, developmental and cognitive outcomes in their children," the authors wrote.
"These high rates of depression in the postpartum period are not surprising owing to the potential stress associated with the birth of a baby, e.g., poor parental sleep, the demands made on parents and the change in their responsibilities, and the pressure this could place on the couple’s relationship," the authors added.
Resumption of antidepressants following a break in pregnancy and breastfeeding could also be a reason. They also found that parents who were more socially deprived were more likely to develop depression.
In addition, "younger parents may be less prepared for parenthood with more unplanned pregnancies and may be less able to deal with the stresses of parenthood compared with older parents."
The authors note, future research should examine other factors associated with parental depression, such as the couple``s relationship quality and stressful life events, as well as the separate and cumulative effects of maternal and paternal depression on children``s health and development.
The study will appear in the November print issue of Archives of Paediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, one of the JAMA/Archives journals.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know