Pet dogs can prevent eczema in children
Washington: A new study has found that kids with dog allergies are less likely to develop eczema by age four if they own a dog.
However, cat ownership may increase the risk among children with cat allergies.
Tolly Epstein and colleagues of the University of Cincinnati and Cincinnati Children``s Hospital Medical Center gathered data from 636 children enrolled in the Cincinnati Childhood Allergy & Air Pollution Study (CCAAPS).
The researchers focused on several potential risk factors for developing eczema, including dog and cat ownership.
The children were tested for 17 separate allergies on a yearly basis from ages one through four years, and the parents completed yearly surveys.
The researchers found that children who tested positive for dog allergies were less likely to develop eczema by age 4 years if they owned a dog before age 1 year.
"Children with dog allergies who did not own dogs were 4 times more likely to develop eczema," said Epstein.
Unlike dog ownership, cat ownership seemed to have a negative effect on children with cat allergies.
"Children who owned a cat before age one year and were allergic to cats based on a skin allergy test were 13 times more likely to develop eczema by age 4 years," Epstein explained.
She noted, however, that children who were not allergic to cats were not at an increased risk for eczema if they owned a cat.
The study was published in the Journal of Paediatrics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick